Why Should Patients Buy Their Medication Over The Counter
Did You Know?
The NHS has been spending around £136 million a year on prescriptions for medicine that can be bought over the counter.
By reducing the amount of over-the-counter medication prescriptions, we can give priority to treatments for people with more serious conditions such as cancer, diabetes and mental health problems.
Where Can You Buy Over The Counter Medication
- Local pharmacies stock minor aliment treatment medications
- Local high-street shops can offer a range of reasonably priced treatments
- Supermarkets can also supply many medicines
What Conditions Can Be Treated With Over The Counter Medicine
Over 30 different conditions can be treated, here are some:
- ACUTE SORE THROAT
- CRADLE CAP
- DRY EYES / SORE TIRED EYES
- INFANT COLIC
- INFREQUENT MIGRANE
- MINOR BURNS AND SCALDS
- MILD IRRITANT DERMATITIS
- MOUTH ULCERS
- SUN PROTECTION
- TRAVEL SICKNESS
What Can You Do?
- Keep a few useful medicines at home to treat common conditions without seeing a healthcare professional
- Use your local pharmacist for minor aliment treatment advice
- Stock up your medicine cabinet on basic first aid items
What Of Symptoms Don't Improove?
- Go back to the pharmacy for further advice
- Call NHS 111
- Contact your GP
Published: Mar 1, 2019
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.